I wanted to document some of the information that I have used in my work and found on the InterWeb about cloud based computing and data security. I had a lengthy discussion about this topic with my life partner this past weekend so here are some thoughts on these topics.
Secure your data
It is not rocket science to say that you need to back up your critical files on a computer. How do you do it securely and consistently. the best way to do it is the easiest way to do it, use Google Drive. Since April of 2013 Google has been encrypting data in the cloud on the Google drive by default. Even if you feel that this is not enough is leaving your computer sitting in your house without a password to lock it more secure? even if you have a password on it when it is stolen your password can easily be removed and all of your data retrieved from your computer. When thieves gain access to your home and take a computer they do not want the computer they want the identity data on the computer.
Identity theft is more valuable to home breaking thieves now days than home electronics. if you want to secure your data on a computer consider doing the following:
- Put a BIOS password on your computer so that when it is powered on you have to enter a password.
- Windows Vista and Windows 7 includes Bit Locker
- Google Drive
- Sky Drive (Microsoft)
- iCloud (Apple)
It does not matter which service you use, just make sure it is encrypted. If the service is not encrypted consider getting software that you can run locally on your computer that will encrypt your data when it is copied to the cloud service.
Secure your daily computing
- Create a normal user account without administrative rights to your computer for your use.
- do not allow anyone to sue your computer without a separate account.
- Only use the Administrative account for installing software that you have verified that the publisher is legitimate.
- Be suspicions of all free software. Do not install search tool bars on your browsers. do not install free screen savers or other desktop enhancements. these programs for the most part are spy ware and will slow down your computer.