I had some help along the way, but here are the links that got me going. The error was caused by Joomla getting better at the syntax checking. Old code from extensions were storing parameters int he database incorrectly and that caused the error. I found a script that helped me identify the error and fixed it.
Here is a link to the fix that I used, 0 Error decoding JSON data: Syntax error after upgrading to 3.6.4. The key was using a script to show the errors in the database. That script is here and was written by Robert Went.
Here is the error that I fixed in my extension table in my database for com_languages,
Here is my site updated to Joomla 3.6.4
I hope this helps anyone searching for a fix for this issue.